Written by Phoebe Rios, Account Executive on the Ashton Eaton and Brianne Theisen-Eaton team
Social media is always changing, and it can be difficult to keep up with the latest techniques such as marketing strategies and brand outreach. Content consumes our personal and professional lives through all forms of communication, and it is vital to understand how to capture your audience’s attention. Here are five tips for creating effective social media content that is certain to spark the interest of personal and professional viewers:
- Research your audience. How does your target demographic use social media? For audiences that like to skim over content quickly, use platforms like Twitter to promote ideas through a limited character count and get your message across in a timely manner. For audiences that appreciate detail, it may be beneficial to write a lengthier post on a platform like Facebook and use descriptive and powerful words to bring your ideas to life.
- Use a hashtag for key words and phrases. Social media platforms often generate content related to a user’s personal and professional interests, and hashtags will categorize your content and drive your individual posts to the “popular page.” Here, your content can attract a larger audience and receive more recognition. Use hashtags to stay relevant and interact with like-minded professionals.
- Use powerful images. A picture is worth a thousand words, so it is important to post images that draw the viewer in. Try using a variety of action, close-up and wide-range shots to show your audience versatility. Your content represents and your brand, so it is imperative the images you choose reflect it.
- Play with punctuation. Don’t be afraid to use an exclamation mark or a hyphen every once in a while and express your personality. However, be sure that your content is free of grammatical errors, and be mindful when interacting with your audience. Whereas content can initially draw the viewer in, punctuation can be used to evoke emotion throughout the post.
- Keep up with the latest trends, and post relevant content. Social media platforms alert you of important news updates to help you stay in the loop. Take advantage of this! Understand current events and add your own dialogue. Posting about trending topics will add unique value in your own material.
Phoebe Rios is a junior at the University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication. She is seeking a Bachelors of Arts in journalism with an emphasis in public relations and is currently working as an account executive at Allen Hall Public Relations.